Thursday, October 27, 2011

Poetry - "Ruby" - Kathleen Matson

Ruby

I is Ruby,
daughter of Eina,
my Mother so wise,
wise as a queen
when she smile
there is light all around,
spotlight of light
that grows and gathers up
all the boys and girls.

My Mother so strong,
strong as they ox
who pulls the wagon.

My Mother so fair
so fair, not county fair,
but fair in dealn
and all folks know that.

My Mother cook the dinner
balance the baby
love my Daddy
feed her Momma
kiss her Papa
sit alone in a chair
in her room,
eyes closed,
lips in a smile
she far far away,
happy away,
she rockn herself in lavender,
don't mind the honeybees,
butterfly stop at her shoulder.
she go somewhere she love,
walk thru daisies,
gaze at mountains,
stoop down to drink our Lord's nectar from the stream.

I can't come.
I stay here,
stir the pot,
rock the baby,
wait for Mother,
my Mother,
like honey drippin in love.

She is my Mama
I play at school
go home to her at night
go home to sunlight
and fresh air
and cherry pie
and tickled funny bone
following me up to bed,
and she wrap me,
and sit by my side
and turn out a light
to point to a star
through the window
she tell me is
my star, to watch me
all night and dust down
a secret love
on Ruby, contented mind
she tell me,
my Mama tell me,
my Mama wise and strong.
my Mama bathed in sunlight,
spotlight of light
that grows and gathers up
all the boys and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment