Monday, August 27, 2012

Getting to know Nora Ephron + Lillian Hellman

I absolutely love Nora Ephron, her clarity of voice, and her "cashmere clad" wing spreading over me.

Right. If I were to have something named for me it would be cashmere. The Kathleen scarf, throw, socks?

I love the chapters "Addicted to LUV" I relate. I am just as addicted to Bejeweled Blitz as she was to Scrabble Blitz. It takes your mind off things, helps you see where you are not lined up, just one more game, just one more minute and focus!

Oh, have you tried Temple Run? That's crazy, the sound effects alone make it compelling to do another game and another. I switch back and forth when I have a little minute to focus, which turns into 5 or 10 then just one more, just one more game, something I can focus on, like Nora Ephron's wisdom, maybe follow her through a doorway into a more relaxed place, as if I were in the kitchen with her, sitting at the table, watching her cook while she talked to me.

Food is a very big part of life. Food is life. Isn't it amazing how much you can eat, how full you can get, and suddenly you aren't full anymore and begin to think of the next thing you will eat. I like how Nora says she goes into her kitchen a hundred times a day just to think about the next thing She will eat, and the next.

I love her chapters about the egg white omelette, teflon, chicken soup, Lillian Hellman, a real original and wild card. This is not in Nora's book, but I read somewhere one summer when Sinatra's yacht was anchored off Martha's Vineyard and a wild party was going on to which she was not invited, she went to a phone booth and called in a bomb threat and stopped the party cold. I imagine her standing on shore, cigarette in hand, fur coat around her shoulders, Blackgama of course, remember the advertisements she was featured in?, infuriated with the music and laughter floating back her way, and she chose to shut it down. True? Who knows.

I love Nora's final chapters, What I Won't Miss,  - EMAILS!
What I Will Miss  - her husband, children, friends, twinkle lights, pie.

Thank you Nora Ephron for clear soothing words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment