Friday, January 6, 2012

Train to Edinburgh - Good bye to Fife

Nothing like taking the train from Fife to Edinburgh. It gives me a thrill of the possibilities that are before me.
The man in the Kirkcaldy train station reminds of the man who produced Mrs. Miniver's rose. I can see Edinburgh just across the water, sail over the railroad bridge Hitchcock made famous in THE 39 STEPS, look up at the Edinburgh Castle, and arrive at the marvelous Waverley Station in under 45 minutes.




Have tea at the new Missoni Hotel on the George IV Bridge.
Walk down Victoria Street, discover the BEST Tweed shop. New jacket.
 Observe the Library.
 Walk over the Bridge from Old Town to New Town.
 Stake out a photo of St. Andrews Square.
 Wish I'd had a drink at the club room in the Dome. Makes me feel as if Noel Coward will turn round the corner at any minute.
and walk past Robert Lewis Stevenson's Edinburgh townhouse.

Edinburgh, a city of half million that hosts the most fabulous festival every August, has the old town and the new, and a flat in my future, I believe.

"World is ball." 

No comments:

Post a Comment