Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Downton Abbey Finale - Lady Mary dresses her way to Love

Does it have to end?  I've been in a swoon for the last couple of weeks, unable to let it go, watching and re-watching the finale Christmas episode of Series 2.  It has been fascinating to watch the obstacles Lady Mary and Matthew have had to surmount in order to finally come together.
And what about Bates and Anna, and the drama Daisy has had to go through and O'Brien and Thomas constantly working their evil, hiding Lord Grantham's dog.
And Lady Edith, looking like she may possibly find a beau in Sir Anthony Strallan who has a not-so-shabby looking country pile himself I must say. I love so many of the characters, Mr. Carson, Lady Cora, Mrs. Patmore, Anna, Bates and Lord Robert.

The Dowager Countess Grantham again has the most wonderful lines. When Matthew finally decks Sir Richard Carlisle and Sir Richard says to Violet, "I'm leaving in the morning. I doubt we'll meet again." Her response is "Do you promise?"

                                                                                                                                   I love everything about Downton Abbey, the story, the actors, the wardrobe, brilliantly created by designer Suzanna Buxton, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203479104577124671699676082.html
the magnificent sets and the details in the rooms, like the Silhouettes framed and on the walls downstairs, the high polish of a brass bell, the leather walls in the Saloon, to say nothing of the massive Van Dyck painting in the dining room. but the clothes, the clothes.

Smashing. Brilliant. Compelling, the fabulous tweed skirt and jacket Lady Mary wore during the shoot, the black mourning coat and hat she wore in meeting Matthew at Lavinia's grave, the sleeveless red velvet evening gown, and the black embroidered evening gown shown here.  But mostly it is the writing that keeps me coming back for more, the writing that the actors live out for us to watch.
"You don't have to marry him, you don't have to marry anyone."

"But I do have to marry him."

"If I told you the reason you would despise me and that I really couldn't bear it."

"Break with Carlisle."

"Brave the storm, sack Carlisle."

                                                                     "I could never despise you."

"Will you marry me?"
                          


What a way to end, with this image of Downton Abbey in the snow.

Series 3 now filming. Maggie Smith and Dan Stevens have not signed on yet for Series 4 and 5, so like life, who knows?

But I'll be back to see all of the next Downton Abbey, and this summer I will be at Highclere Castle in England, the castle that is high on the hill with a clear view. Ah, we do love Downton Abbey. Thank you Julian Fellowes, and thank you everyone who made this series possible.

"Great fiction creates a parallel world others want to live in." - Kathleen Blurock

No comments:

Post a Comment