Thursday, February 23, 2012

New York Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Metropolitan Museum of Art


My temple of Art on Fifth Avenue. This trip was to view the brand new wing of Art of the Arab lands, Turkey, Iran, Central Asia and Later South Asia.

Later it was the newly reconfigured American Wing. It is quite remarkable what the museum has entered into with these new galleries, and the mind reels and the head swivels back and forth taking in each magnificent work of art. I was particularly fond of the John Singer Sargent paintings in the American Wing which I have seen over and over again, but still, to drink in the black of Madame X's dress, to visually absorb the white brush strokes of the three sisters evening gowns helps take me closer to the artist and drenches me in the beauty of the work.
I can't keep up. There is too much to take in and yet, day after day being in this landscape changes me, helps me see, let go, roll clear able to begin and begin again.

I do not know what it says, but was drawn to the characters.

Carved doorways, latticed screens.

Maybe 20 feet? A very special carpet with 5 medallions.








1 comment:

  1. Who is number 11? One of the most gorgeous portraits I have ever seen, has to be a Sargent! Move over Scarlet O'Hara!

    ReplyDelete